Practical Algebra: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides #110) (Paperback)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Other Books in Series
This is book number 110 in the Wiley Self-Teaching Guides series.
- #147: Quick Business Math: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides #147) (Paperback): $22.00
- #148: All the Math You'll Ever Need: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides #148) (Paperback): $19.95
- #165: Quick Algebra Review Stg 2e (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides #165) (Paperback): $22.00
Practical Algebra If you studied algebra years ago and now need arefresher course in order to use algebraic principles on the job, or if you're a student who needs an introduction to the subject, here's the perfect book for you. Practical Algebra is an easy andfun-to-use workout program that quickly puts you in command of allthe basic concepts and tools of algebra. With the aid of practical, real-life examples and applications, you'll learn:
* The basic approach and application of algebra to problemsolving
* The number system (in a much broader way than you have known itfrom arithmetic)
* Monomials and polynomials; factoring algebraic expressions; howto handle algebraic fractions; exponents, roots, and radicals;linear and fractional equations
* Functions and graphs; quadratic equations; inequalities; ratio, proportion, and variation; how to solve word problems, andmore
Authors Peter Selby and Steve Slavin emphasize practical algebrathroughout by providing you with techniques for solving problems ina wide range of disciplines--from engineering, biology, chemistry, and the physical sciences, to psychology and even sociology andbusiness administration. Step by step, Practical Algebra shows youhow to solve algebraic problems in each of these areas, then allowsyou to tackle similar problems on your own, at your own pace.Self-tests are provided at the end of each chapter so you canmeasure your mastery.
About the Author
PETER SELBY (deceased) was Director of Educational Technology atMan Factors Associates, a human factors engineering consultingfirm. He is the author of two other self-teaching guides: QuickAlgebra Review: A Self-Teaching Guide and Geometry and Trigonometryfor Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide, both published by Wiley. STEVE SLAVIN, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of Economics at UnionCounty College, Cranford, New Jersey. He has written over 300newspaper and magazine articles, and is the author of four otherbooks, including All the Math You ll Ever Need: A Self-TeachingGuide and Economics: A Self-Teaching Guide, both published byWiley.